Monday, March 3, 2014

From old to new


Before we ever decided to do this blog I refinished quite a few pieces of furniture. I don’t have a step by step tutorial but I do have some amazing before and after pictures! So without further ado....



Dump find:

There are a few places in our town that people tend to dump things. I guess it's not technically a dump find put close enough! I drive by these places once or twice a week! I always have my eye out for stuff that others have thrown out! I was super excited when I found this! We needed somewhere to put the tv in the playroom but we also needed storage! It wasn't in the best shape, there was no handle to get the front door open. When I go to Lowes I always check the oops paint (if you don't, you should start!). If you don't know, oops paint is paint that has been mixed wrong. Either it isn't the right color or was mixed wrong. It's usually pretty cheap! I found the paint for this project at Lowes for $5! I already had the brown paint from Sweet Grass. I also found a handle for $5. 

Total: $10!
 (Before)
 (During)
(After)



Garage Sale #1:

I'm a sucker for garage sales! I love the thrill of getting up extra early and driving around your town to find awesome deals!!! Chad on the other hand isn't the biggest fan! I usually can only get him out a couple times a season. 

Last summer we were out one morning looking for extra outdoor chairs for Reeves' birthday party. I didn't find any chairs but I found this gem for $20! I needed a buffet for our dining room.

 It was in terrible condition! I used some wood putty to fill in the spaces on the front that were missing. The drawers slide in too far but we weren't sure how to fix that, so we just left it. 

I had the paint for Sweet Grass. I  loved the color of the old pulls so I left them the color they were.

Total: $20!
(Before)
(After)


Craiglist Find:

I check craigslist every once in a while. I usually don't have much luck. But when I came across this find, I knew I couldn't pass it up. It was in AMAZING shape and made out of real wood. I got it for $25! I bought a gallon of paint from lowes. I don't remember the exact color, but it's a coral color. But I've used the paint for multiple projects so it was worth buying a gallon. I left the pulls in their original state because I liked the colors together. 

Total: $35.

Pardon this TERRIBLE after photo. I just realized I din't have a good one and I can't find the cord to plug my camera to my computer! ha.

(Before)
 (After, but without the pulls. I couldn't decide if I wanted to spray paint them or not)
(After, a terrible picture!)



Garage Sale #2:

A few years ago, Ashley and I were out garage sale shopping and I came across this awesomeness! I got it for only $50! The moment I laid eyes on it, I had big plans for it but unfortunately it sat like this for a long time! When we moved in our new house, I couldn't stand it anymore. I got half a gallon of Valspar paint (can't remember the color, sorry, I'll do better from now on). And I also picked up a gallon of Kilts paint. I knew I only had half a gallon of red paint, I didn't have any to waste! I bought 2 foam boards from the Dollar Tree and found some awesome fabric at Hancocks to do the back. I used a 50% off coupon for the fabric! 

Total: around $80 (over a few years!)

(Before, I forgot to take a picture before I took the door off and taped up the glass. And yes, I took this picture off my Facebook and I didn't let it load all the way. oops)
(Primed!)
(During) 
("Antiqued")
(Finished with painting!)
(I spray painted the knobs and pulls)
(DONE!!!)



Curb Find:

Nothing gets me more excited than to pass a mound of stuff people have thrown out! Most of the time I'm going to stop! I have found so many awesome things that way! I found Reeves one of those turtle sandbox things, it was in awesome shape just needed sand! Anyway, I passed a house on my way home from the grocery store and I saw this guy! I had to get it! So I ran home, dropped the groceries off and picked up Chad! When he saw it, he kept saying for me to leave it! I couldn't. I needed somewhere in our room to put on my make up, and this was perfect.

It looked like someone tried to spray paint it black but didn't do a good job. The mirror was far too messed up to use, but I had an old gold mirror. The new mirror was much bigger anyway! I used the coral paint from the living room tv stand.

I took knobs off of an old entertainment center we were throwing away! 

Total: FREE

(Before)
(After)



From A Friend's Mom:

When Chad and I first moved in together a hundred years ago, we bought our couches from my best friend's mom. She also gave us a few things like a bookcase, a quilt holder and a blue shoe rack. The shoe rack sat in the car port at our old house and sat in the garage at the new house. This winter I noticed there were coats laying EVERYWHERE in my house! I decided to make a place for them. This is where the shoe rack came into play. 

I had the brown paint from Sweet Grass (thank goodness for sweet grass!!!!).

I bought 3 hooks from Walmart for like $2 each.

Total: $4

(Before)
(During)
(After)


Site Find:

When we first moved into our new house, we didn't have an entertainment center. So our tv was sitting on a very flimsy table. A friend (a contractor) found this on a site he was working. 

I bought a couple cans of spray paint from Walmart. I didn't even buy expensive spray paint! This was my first big project! I even stray painted the knobs. 

I took the glass door off the front. 

 (Before)
 (After)




This was officially the longest post ever! From now on I'll do step by step tutorials! Any questions?













No comments:

Post a Comment