Monday, March 24, 2014

Did You Say Pink Wall?

Reeves was going to my parents house one weekend so I decided it would be a perfect time to paint an accent wall in our living room. I searched Pinterest for ideas and came up with a moroccan design like THIS or THIS.  

I found a design I liked on google and made a stencil out of poster board. 

Then came the hard part. I decided when I started this project that I wanted to use the same coral color I used on the TV stand. Chad wasn't sold. He kept saying, "You're painting the whole wall pink?". He has no creative vision! Actually, everybody I told had something to say about using pink! Jeez people. Give me some credit. All I can think about is Shelby from Steel Magnolias saying: "My colors are blush and bashful. I have chosen two shades of pink. One is much darker than the other!" Know your colors people.

Anyway, I've learned its best people see what I'm talking about rather than try to explain it to them! 


I first used a pencil and drew around the stencil. I taped a small level to the stencil to make sure the stencil was straight. Don't worry, I still messed it up and didn't realize until I was completely done. oh well.

At a random trip to Lowes I stumbled across Valspar Paint Crystals, I bought them for another project but didn't end up using them! I knew they would be perfect for this job. The man at Lowes warned me not to add all of it to the whole gallon. He said the crystals would settle and you'd never see them. I added a little of the crystals as I went. It turned out great! You can only see the crystals when the sun is shining on the wall. And it just gives the wall a shimmering effect. I don't even think Chad knows they are there. If I had told him I was painting the wall coral and adding glitter... He would have forbid me to do my project! 

It only took 3 hours! 


Notice that once the furniture was back in place, the wall becomes an accent. You know it's there but its not all you see! Chad even gave his stamp of approval. 


Addition:


Chad cut out these picture frames from plywood. I printed 11x14 pictures from Walgreens. They are PEEL AND STICK STICKERS! How cool is that?!



No comments:

Post a Comment