Friday, May 16, 2014

Wedding Sign

As I've said before my little brother is getting married this weekend! I'm so lucky to gain such an amazing new sister!

This is the amazing couple



Kaitlyn asked if Reeves would walk down the aisle in front of her with a sign that says "Uncle Robby, Here Comes Your Girl". How cute is that??

I offered to make the sign for her. She sent me the colors and I got started.

Here's what I did...

First I picked the font... I had 4 different fonts for Kaitlyn to choose from... This is the one she picked.


Next came the color. She sent me a picture of her bridesmaid dresses... This is Kayla the MOH! Isn't she beautiful in dress? I just love it!! 


Luckily I had a color blue that was PERFECT! I don't think I could have been more lucky!


I usually free hand everything I make, but I wanted this to be perfect. I decided to transfer a copy of the words to the wood before painting it in blue.

I used my AWESOME computer and flipped the words so they were a mirror image of themselves.


I cut each word out and laid them on the piece of wood. I put the ink side down on the wood. This way it looks "right". 


I used a wooden pencil (I'm not sure if anything else will work, this is all I tried) and scribbled on the back of the paper. I made sure to push had but didn't stay in the lines. Just be sure not to miss some of the ink of the other side.


The ink transferred to the wood so I had a stencil! I did the whole sign. It was super easy!! The hardest part was making sure it all stayed straight!


All the words after I finished.


Worked like a charm! It was light enough that it didn't bleed through the blue paint but it was dark enough that I could see it clearly!


When you look closely, you can see the way I scribbled on the back. I did go over the paint twice just so you don't see the marks. 


Finished with the words! I think it turned out perfectly.


I sent Kaitlyn a picture and she asked if I could add a peach flower to the corner.


I was afraid I wasn't thinking of the same peach that she was so I asked her to send me a sample (like she did with the blue in the bridesmaid dress). This is what she sent. haha. Notice how she searched it. I just love her! And for the record, I wasn't thinking this color, I was thinking more coral so I'm glad I asked!



I didn't have the color peach so off to Walmart I ran. Would you believe they didn't have the color I was looking for?? I found 2 that I figured I could mix and would be perfect.


I painted 2 coats on the flower. You could still see the blue words. It made repainting the words easy!


All finished! I love it and so does Kaitlyn, which is the only thing that really mattes. I'm going to put some twine on the top to make a small handle. 


Lets just hope Reeves walks down the aisle with it!!! Guess we'll see tomorrow! I'll do an update of the wedding next week!!! Stay tuned!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment