Saturday, May 10, 2014

Mother's Day DIY

I decided to make a homemade Mother's Day gift for my mom this year...

My not so little brother is getting married May 17th so my mom has been super busy! While I would love to be able to afford to send her to the spa, I can't... Reeves needs diaper after all! The next best things is a spa day at home.

I made a homemade foot scrub, a body scrub, a milk bath, bath salts and a mask.

Here are the recipes I used:

Sugar Cookie Foot Scrub:

1 C Brown sugar
1 C White sugar
1 C EVOO
1 T Vanilla


Vanilla Coconut Oil Scrub:

1 C Brown sugar
1 C White sugar
1 1/2 C Melted coconut oil
1 T Vanilla


Lemongrass Bath Salt:

2-3 C Epsom salt
1 C Baking soda
1 C Table salt
10 Drops of yellow food coloring
20 Drops of lemongrass essential oil


Peppermint Bath Milk:

1 C Instant milk
1/4 C Cornstarch
1/4 C Baking soda
20 Drops of peppermint essential oil



I put each in a mason jar. I made a label for each and put a pretty piece of lace around the top. I found a basket at the Dollar Tree!





For the mask: 

I googled spa mask template and printed the one I liked the best. I saved it on my computer and printed it to fit on the page. I wanted it to be big!



I found an old table runner of my great grandmother's. It was stained and I couldn't use it for a table runner anymore.  I wish that I had taken a picture of it before, but like always... I forgot! The runner had a pretty lace border, I cut it off so I could use it around the edge of the mask.



I pinned the lace around the edge of the inside of the back of the mask. Remember, you have to put the outside, inside when you sew it together so when you turn it inside out the ugly stuff will be inside. I goofed and sewed the lace facing out (like it would if it was already turned inside out). So i had to rip the seams and start over. Very annoying.




After I took it all apart and started over. I pinned the lace facing inside. I'm really hoping the pictures will help all my jabber! 







Yes, it looks like a big pad with lace right now. haha. Every time I took a picture, I laughed.

I added a ribbon so you can tie it around your face. Now that it's finished, the ribbon isn't necessary. It's too heavy to hold on your face. But, nevertheless... I just sewed the ribbon in the same place on each side. Don't forget to sew them inside. I pinned both the ribbons together so they wouldn't get in the way.





I added the front, pretty side down on the ribbons. I used 2 pins to mark where I needed to leave it opened so I could turn it inside out. Then I just attached the front to the back and sewed around it. I went around twice just to be sure! I'm not the best at sewing but I can fake it!




Then I turned it inside out.


Then I ran downstairs to measure how much rice I would need, only to see that I didn't have enough. I ran to the store and picked up lunch. With lunch in the oven, I measured the rice and put it in a container and added 20 drops of lemongrass essential oil. I left the rice & lemongrass to sit for about 30 minutes. 





I filled the mask up with the AMAZING smelling rice and ran back upstairs to sew it up.





Don't fill the rice all the way to the top, leave space so you can sew up the hole.



Don't forget to turn the edges down so it looks "finished".



TA-DA!!!!! I couldn't be more happy with how it turned out!


I tied the ribbon in a pretty bow, just give it a little detail. If my mom wants to use the ribbon, she can, if not, no problem. 


I liked the mask so much, I made some for my aunt & grandmother's!



Everybody got 2 masks. One for cold, just keep it in the freezer and One for hot, put it in the microwave for 1 minute. I tried it and stayed hot for a while! It felt so good!! 

The "masks" can be used on any part of your body... I used mine on my lower back.


1 comment: