Thursday, April 3, 2014

Oh, Laundry.


My aunt is going to be super excited about this post! If you don't care about laundry, I would quit reading now.

My aunt and her family live in Maryland. My entire family (I'm talking my little family of 3, my parents, my brother, & my grandparents) flew to visit for a whole week!

(Us on the plane)

 While there I was doing laundry. I was doing it the way I always had. 
I put all my clothes in at the same time and washed. No sorting, nothing.

Man, did I get yelled at! Seriously.

Here's what I learned.....
SORT YOUR LAUNDRY! 

I noticed that Chad's undershirts looked a little dingy but I figured they were old or cheap. I never once thought it was because I washing them with darks. Stupid, I know.

Almost a year later and I almost have the title of Laundry Queen! 

Let me explain my laundry regiment....
Enjoy!

This might be a lot so stick with me. 

First off, know your washing machine! I'm thinking most washing machines have the same settings, if not, it should be close! 
(We have an old washing machine. Lets not discuss it. It still works!)

Cycle:
 I only use the WHITES side. I don't know why... its just what I've always used. 

Load:
Depends on the size of your load, duh!

Temperature:
COLD: Dark- black, brown, navy, dark blue
WARM: Colors- blues, greens, khaki, light brown
- blue jeans
-reds, oranges, pinks, purples
HOT: Whites- whites & light khaki
- sheets
- towels

That is also how I sort my laundry. On a normal washing day, I usually have 6 piles of clothes. I usually have to do 2-3 loads of towels. I use way too many towels at once... but thats a story for another day! I have tried putting too many towels in my old dryer but I have to dry it 2-3 times so its just easier to do smaller loads of them! TMI?

Moving on....

Knowing you're washing machine and sorting is VERY importing but what you wash with is just as important! 

I use BIZ for my whites and colors. I put half a scoop in colors and a full scoop in whites. 

I use both of these (ALL & DOWNY) in every load. I like to use the dye-free for Reeves plus I love the fresh smell!

I have a BOUNCE dryer bar in my dryer. 

That's it! It takes me all day but our whites are white! Everything actually looks cleaner! 

(This is all my opinion.... Actually my Aunt's so blame her if you don't like something!)

Happy washing!



*UPDATE* Chad and I both recently got cooking oil & EVOO on 2 of our new tshirts from our Dallas trip! We were both upset! Chad's was a vintage Clinton '92 tshirt. What else was I to do but call the Queen of Laundry, my aunt! She gave me a recipe and told me what to do. Here it is:
1 tsp blue Dawn
3-4 Tbsp Hydrogen Peroxide
2 Tbsp Baking Soda
It makes a paste and you work it in with a toothbrush. Leave it for an hour then wash like normal. 
She said she makes a batch and leaves it beside the washer in a little tupperware bowl. 
Let me tell you, IT WORKED!!! She's awesome!!!!!! Thanks Aunt Shirley!!!!!







No comments:

Post a Comment